After 35 rewarding years on staff at national print magazines including Town & Country, SELF and European Travel & Life, I made the switch in 2010 to freelance writing, editorial consulting and media-training, aka communications coaching. I’m currently taking a break from the juggling to complete my second book, a novel based on the Caribbean island of Anguilla, where I spent childhood summers with my family. Read about that here.
My background in brief:
- Town & Country, Beauty & Health Director, 1997-2010
- SELF, Senior Features Editor, Beauty Director, 1993-1997
- European Travel & Life, Executive Editor, 1985-1992
- Town & Country, Associate Features Editor, 1979-1985
- Blogger for The Huffington Post since 2008
- Trainer with Clarity Media Group, NYC, 2013-2016
- BA, American History, Yale University, magna cum laude
What I enjoyed most about working at magazine staffs:
- Being part of a team, working with bright and hugely talented editors like my former colleagues at Town & Country under the brilliant leadership of Pamela Fiori.
- Partnering with other excellent companies, such as Castle Connolly Medical, Ltd. Dr. John Connolly and I collaborated to produce Best Doctors listings for Town & Country.
- Traveling to places like St. Tropez for a spa-opening, and to Machu Picchu to trek, camp and live to write about it. Unforgettable moment: the shaman’s blessing at midnight under a full moon.
- Meeting countless fascinating, accomplished experts when I attended conferences and symposia like Maria Shriver’s Women’s Conference in California, and the late Evelyn Lauder’s annual Breast Cancer Research Foundation meeting in NYC.
- Doing TV and radio appearances on behalf of my magazine.
What I find even more gratifying as a freelance writer, editor and consultant these days:
- The freedom.
- The variety: I’ve enjoyed writing, editing and consulting for magazines, companies and individuals; writing stories, blog-posts, ad-copy, marketing messaging, product names, sound-bytes, book proposals and speeches. Learning the craft of media-training from the best, Bill McGowan of Clarity Media Group, and coaching clients in the fine art of public-speaking.
- The ownership of my creative product, my brand, my headaches, all of it.